DISEASE AND TREATMENT
- Safety rules:
- Parent supervision
- Take care with fire or heat
- Take care with the knife
- Seal jars and do not reopen them
- Materials you need are:
- a piece of steak
- a chopping board
- a sharp knife
- several glass jars with lids
- masking tape
- a waterproof pen
- a saucepan
- a stove
- a refrigerator
Prepare small pieces of meat using different preserving methods - salty water
(brine), sugary water, in vinegar (pickled), and only heated. Seal the jars with masking
tape and label them. Do not open them again. Put them in a safe place away from other
people and pets. Leave these at room temperature and check them daily for one week for
signs of bacterial growth.
Answer these questions and score 1 point for every Yes answer:
- Do you eat fresh fruit every day?
- Do you eat fresh or cooked vegetables every day?
- Do you eat wholegrain foods (e.g. wholemeal or brown bread, brown rice, cereal) every day?
- Are you trying to eat less fat?
- Are you trying to eat less salt?
- Are you trying to eat less sugar?
- Do you often drink plain water when you are thirsty?
- Are you about the right weight for your height?
- If you are overweight, have you started eating fewer kilojoules and having more exercise?
- Do you take part in regular physical exercise that causes you to breathe harder or sweat?
- Do you take part in this activity for 20 minutes at least 3 times a week?
- Do you get much exercise in the ordinary course of your day?
- Do you get enough satisfying sleep?
- Do you practise a relaxation technique regularly?
- Have you set goals for yourself that are based on things that are most important to you?
- Do you enjoy your work or your regular activities?
- Do you listen carefully to the people who matter to you?
- Do you often let people close to you know that you appreciate them?
- Do you have someone to turn to when the going gets tough?
- If you don't smoke nor drink alcohol, score a point.
- Here's how you rate:
- 16 to18 points -Excellent. You are doing all the important things for a happy healthy life.
- 13 to 17 points - Good. You are doing most of the important things.
- 8 to 12 points - Fair. A bit more attention is needed to improve your lifestyle.
- Less than 8 - Poor. There's no time like the present to change bad habits. Check with your doctor first.