- Pressure describes how concentrated a force is. It is measured in Pascals (Pa) or Newtons per Square Metre (N/m2).
Pressure (Pa) = Force (N) / Contact Area (m2)
- Q. What pressure is exerted by a boy with a force of 400 Newtons on a surface that has an area of 2 square metres?
- A. Pressure=force / contact area
- = 400 Newtons / 2 square metres
- = 200 Pa
- A karate chop using the side of the hand with the same force as a flat-handed punch would have greater pressure.
- The drivers of four-wheel drive vehicles stuck in a sand trap let some air out of their tyres so that there is a greater contact area between the tyres and the sand, reducing the pressure and increasing friction.
- The air pressure above the wing of an aircraft is less than that below the wing. This causes the aircraft to move upwards.